[ANSTHRLD] Re-registering a new name.

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Nov 17 08:38:10 PST 2008

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008, Sæmundr inn skærr
<saemundrthepure at gmail.com> wrote:
> "inn skærr" translates to "the innocent".  A name that was given
> to me by a great friend and I use it exclusively now.  My question
> is whether or not since I have already registered bogsviegir, if I
> should or can re-register as "inn skærr".  Also, how does that
> effect or apply to any awards that I have recieved or might recieve
> as far as having them listed on the Heralds OP site.

I don't know whether we have examples of two bynames in the same Norse
name (for a human).

The name change option has already been mentioned.

Another possibility is having an alternate name.  The SCA College of
Arms has one "primary name" per person, under which everything is
filed.  When you just submit a name, you're submitting a primary name.

A person can register an alternate name [1].  It's handled exactly
like a primary name submission:
- same documentation requirements -- you have to show that it's a
   period name for a human, or at least an SCA-compatible attempt at
   same
- same fees
- same forms
- same protection against conflict
The only differences:
- you have to check one different box on the name form to show it's an
   alternate name submission rather than a primary name
- Scribes and OPmeisters and such will tend to use the primary name to
   refer to you -- it's seen as the "official name"

You can submit a new alternate name.  Or you can submit a new primary
name but specify that, if it's registered, you want to retain your old
primary name as an alternate name.

[1] A person can register up to four name items.  One must be a
primary name [2].  The others can be alternate names, household names,
and/or heraldic titles if granted by the kingdom.
<http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/admin.html#II_A> et seq.

That said: you probably shouldn't go nuts with 4 possible names.

[2] Or holding name, but that's an administrative name created by
Laurel and cannot be submitted.

Danielis Lindonium
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com