[ANSTHRLD] Sumptuary Law Question - Coronets & The Kingdom Ensign

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Nov 24 08:53:27 PST 2008

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008, Bob Wade <logiosophia at yahoo.com> wrote:
> tmcd at panix.com wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 23 Nov 2008, Bob Wade <logiosophia at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> Coronets cannot display the Black Star unless the bearer was a
> >> Founding Baron(ess).  Can a coronet display the Kingdom Ensign
> >> instead?
> >
> > Are there period examples of putting a flag on a coronet?
>
> I thought it was in "Chapter 11 Nobility" of 'Period Peerages Other
> Than Knighthood', but the pages were blank.  Good rhetorical
> question, Daniel.

Um, it wasn't actually a rhetorical question.  Let me rephrase it: are
there any examples from the real world (moder nor period) of affixing
the depiction of a flag on the vertical outside face of a coronet, or
anything similar to that?  Regardless of whether it's allowed or not,
if there are no examples in reality, it may be an indication of
whether it's reasonable re-creation of anything.

Danihel Lindicolinum
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com