[ANSTHRLD] Name documentation

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Thu Nov 27 06:00:31 PST 2008

David Walker <coenred_the_raven at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  1.  Is Maxell documentable to our period?  If so, where and when?  We are fairly certain it is either Scot or English and he is interested in a 15-16c Scot persona.

Yes.  Reaney and Wilson have it dated (though not in that spelling) as early as 1190.

>  2.  Is there enough of a difference to be able to get the name registered?  Could it be done with a permission to conflict?

Here is the part that I give you the bad new.  The answer is no.  Maccuswell is Maxwell.  Even right there in the listing for Maxwell in R&W dated to 1221.  The addition of "of" does not make a difference in the name.

Also there is no such thing as a permission to conflict with names.  They are either considered different or not.

You should be able to do something along the lines of Gabriel xx of Maxwell.  That is if he is dead set on Maxwell.

Alasdair