[ANSTHRLD] Pursuivants/Heralds at Large

Star - Ansteorra star at ansteorra.org
Mon Nov 3 09:24:16 PST 2008

Daniel broke the crux of the issue into three points and provided his
knee-jerk answers to each.  My comments are interspersed below.
Daniel wrote: Identify people who can and are expected to fill in as
roving submissions heralds now that branch heralds are no longer entirely
mandatory, as I first assumed from the question?  His answer: the branch
heralds test.
I've seen that there are two "classes" of Pursuivant Extraordinary in my
days.  One that is titled in response to passing a portion of the PE exam,
and one that is per the CoH Admin Handbook, Section X.G.1, who are on an
approved as recognized consultants, and by association with Section X.G.7.b
are approved to accept money for submissions.  These two classes are not
related.  The first class (titled by test) may not be submissions experts,
and so probably aren't going to be doing a lot of consuting.  The second
class of PE is a very limited list due to the desire to restrict who handles
money.  However, neither of these classes are required to consult with
submitters.  In response to Daniel's answer, the branch heralds test is an
entry level tool for heralds to expose them to where to find answers and how
to do the job of a local herald (reporting and such).  I don't think it
focuses enough on submissions training to prepare someone as a roving
submissions herald.

Daniel wrote: Reward people who are learned so as to reward learning and
thereby cause more of it, as "learning enough to pass the test and earn
the merit badge became a goal for lots of people", as Robin suggested was
the purpose in the past?  His answer: Award recommendations for Sable
Thistles

I'm mixed on this one because there's period heraldry and SCA heraldry.  I
agree recognizing someone with a Thistle in period heraldry is appropriate,
but I'm less sure on recognizing someone with a Thistle for SCA heraldry.
However, I think there's plenty of SCA heraldry to be learned and taught to
others, and recognizing those adepts and experts is (to me) a worthy thing -
even if it's just a College recognition.

Daniel wrote:
- Identify people's specialties so that they can be "listed as a
 source deputy to the appropriate regional herald for assistance
 in the area of heraldry for which they passed the test", as I later
 noticed Star had actually written? His answer: the Ansteorran Heralds List
The heralds list is a pretty good resource for asking questions and getting
help with conflict checking and such, but I know some people don't like
lists for various reasons, feel intimidated asking questions publicly, or
just prefer more personal involvement.  I also find that if you ask for
volunteers to help at an event, you don't get much feedback, but if you call
someone and invite them personally to help out, they're more likely to lend
a hand.  Having a regional list of heralds who can do various things would
help local branch heralds get support for events, consultations, or other
areas where they need it.

Good discussion everyone!
Alden