[ANSTHRLD] branch pursuivant title instruction, please

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Thu Oct 2 06:52:25 PDT 2008

As I understand it (read: this is not Star's official say-so, just
Alden's input):

1) Baronial pursuivant titles are typically styled after their Baronial
Service Order (BSO), so you get titles like Loch Soilleir's Serpentine
Pursuivant (after Order of the Serpent's Toils of Loch Soilleir),
Steppes' Oakenwald Pursuivant (after Order of the Oak of the Steppes),
and Stargate's Sentinel Pursuivant (after the Sodality of the Sentinels
of the Stargate).  However, it's not always the case.  For example,
Elfea's herald is Nautilus Pursuivant and their BSO is the Order of the
Azure Keystone.

2) All heraldic titles are registered to the kingdom.  After a quick
scan of a few branch titles that are registered, they seem to remain
registered to the kingdom, however personal heraldic titles (e.g. Cross
Flury Herald) are registered by/to the kingdom and then are transferred
to the individual.

3) From RfS: *iii. Heraldic Titles* - Heraldic titles must follow the
patterns of period heraldic titles.
These are generally drawn from surnames ( /Chandos/ Herald, /Percy/
Herald), place-names ( /Windsor/ Herald, /Calais/ Pursuivant, /Sicily/
Herald), names of heraldic charges ( /Crosslet/ Herald, /Estoile Volant/
Pursuivant, /Noir Lyon/ Pursuivant), names of orders of chivalry (
/Garter/ King of Arms), and mottos ( /Ich Dien/ Pursuivant, /Esperance/
Pursuivant).

And from the CoA Admin Handbook: 4. Heraldic Titles - Titles for the use
of heraldic officers at all levels. Titles for Laurel staff are
registered to the Society. All other heraldic titles are registered to
the branch in which they will be used, but must be approved by the
kingdom to which the branch belongs. Heraldic titles may not be
registered directly by individuals, but may be transferred to
individuals with the approval of the owning branch and the kingdom to
which it belongs.

4) Dame Mari pointed out a good reference for heraldic title
information.  I attended Juliana de Luna's class at KWHS.  Very
interesting stuff. (Mari posted, "I finished HTML'ing the first draft of
her associated article in late August. It's posted at:
http://www.medievalscotland.org/kmo/HeraldicTitles/ ")

Posting to the email list should not be a bother to anyone.  This is a
good venue for asking questions because everyone gets to see the answers
and someone else might have had a similar question but didn't ask it. :)

Cheers,
Alden