[ANSTHRLD] marshaling question.

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Thu Oct 16 05:04:01 PDT 2008

Donnchadh Beag mac Griogair <donnchadh at cornelius.norman.ok.us> wrote :
>  My understanding is that the arms of the HEIRS are marshaled to include
>  the arms of both parents, not that spouses would marshal their arms once
>  married.  Keep in mind that your arms are you.  As you are a product of
>  both parents, you show that by marshaling their arms (assuming you
>  inherit from both of them).  Quartered arms would tend to indicate
>  inheritance from four grandparents to one grandchild.

Marshaling can be confusing.  Especially so as I believe different heraldic authorities behaved slightly different.  i have by no means made an exhaustive study, but here is my understanding.

The husband would often bear the arms of the wife (assuming she is the heraldic heriess) on as either a dimidiation (briefly done early only I believe) and impalement or an inescutcheon of pretense.  Circumstances as to which one I do not have handy and would have to go and read up on again.

When the wife died the husband would no longer display her arms, but they would descend to the child and they would bear it quartered.

>  Cisco Cividanes wrote:
>  > Could four people marshal their arms (quartered, more likely than not)
>  > to show common affiliation in single group?

Sorry, I have never heard of or seen marshaling used in this manner.  Marshaling indicates familial inheritance, not group affiliation.  That is what we have group ensigns for.  If you display your device you are telling people you are there.  It should be unique to yo so that you can look at the banner and say, oh that is where Donnchadh is.  Not have to look and say, hmm Donnchadh's group/household whatever is here.

Alasdair