[ANSTHRLD] marshaling question.

Star Principal Herald star at ansteorra.org
Thu Oct 16 06:12:14 PDT 2008

Some more details...keep in mind that before marshalling was codified by
the College of Arms, dimidiation, impalement, and quartering were used
oddly.  I've found evidence of a quartered marital coat that had nothing
to do with inherited arms.

After the College of Arms (England's) standardized methods of
marshalling, impalement  was used where the wife is not the heiress of
her father's arms, but the husband wished to show the association to the
wife's family (particularly if they were a notable family).  Impalement
was not used on the battlefield however as the wife's father/brother(s)
bore the arms and represented the family directly on the battlefield.
(I take impalement to be a suitable display in the SCA because my wife
is not the heiress of her father's arms.  Her arms are hers by right.
As such, I'm associating myself with her in the display, but not
claiming stewardship/ownership of her entitlement.)

An Escutcheon of Pretense (EOP) is displayed on a husband's arms when
the wife is the heiress of her father's arms, however, evidence I found
states that this display may only be used when the couple have issue (a
child, who is heir apparent of the mother's arms).  [As discussed in an
earlier thread, EOPs are not really SCA compatible since our wives are
not heiresses of their arms.  They also can be confused with escutcheons
of augmentation]

An heir apparent does not display any quarterings of the parents' arms
during their lifetime.  Let's assume the heir apparent is a son.  If
both parents are alive, the son displays the father's arms with a label
(standard English heir apparent).  If the mother dies before the father,
the son quarters the father's arms with the label with the arms of his
mother (to which he is now the HEIR).  The father no longer displays his
wife's arms because they belong to his son.  If the father dies before
the mother, the son becomes the heir of his father's arms and removes
the label.  The son does not bear his mother's arms yet in any fashion.
Once both parents are dead, the son displays both parents arms
quartered.  Typically it is displayed with the father's arms in the 1&4,
but I believe that if the mother was of higher pedigree, the son may
take her surname and switch positions.

What I think would be really cool to see in the SCA is people utilizing
heraldic wills by quartering.  While we can't will our awards, or
titles, we can will our devices.  If Lord John Smith wills his device to
me, I become the heir apparent to his device.  When he dies, I become
the heir of his device.  By the heraldic will, the device will transfer
to me and I can accept it as a badge.  Once I do, I could display it as
a quartering with my own device.  I don't register the marshalled arms,
but each quarter is registered to me.  It would be a bit of an SCA-ism
compared to historic practice, where a lot more than just the arms were
inherited, but one I'd be willing to accept.  I think it would be a nice
way to show tribute to the deceased, and help keep their memory alive in
the Dream.

Alden