[ANSTHRLD] SCA vs Mundane heraldry

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Oct 16 13:27:52 PDT 2008

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Childers, Jeff <Jeff.Childers at ttuhsc.edu> wrote:
> Is this valid SCA blazonry
>
> purple a point dexter parted raguly argent

No, and so far as I know, it's not valid real-world blazonry either
(even ignoring the utterly trivial issues of capitalization and
punctuation).

It's probably not SCA-registerable under any valid blazon, but without
knowing exactly what the design looks like, we can't know for sure.
If you can, please draw up a picture and put it on a Web page (and
tell us the URL), or please describe in ordinary English (using the
language of blazon as little as possible) what the design looks like.

My guess is: the shield is purple.  The corner of the shield at the
viewer's upper left is white.  That corner is not delimited by a
straight line (diagonal from the left edge to the top edge), but by a
line that looks like slanted embattlements.  This depiction of raguly
probably works only under a fixed-width font:

Or see <http://www.heraldsnet.org/saitou/parker/Jpglossr.htm#Raguly>
for a raguly that's flatter than we usually require.

Danet de Lyncoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com