[ANSTHRLD] Conflict check, please

Cisco Cividanes engtrktwo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 10:08:08 PDT 2008

> Do you want to be a conflict-checker, and do conflict checks on
> various submitters' armory?  If not, I don't see any particular need
> to go into it for just a few items of your own: it's a lot of effort
> and counter-intuitive learning.

Actually, yes. I am making a determined effort to become functional in
book heraldry, including enouigh skills to at least help locals who
might be interested in getting their arms or badges submitted.

That, and the fact that I am enouigh of a geek to actually *want* to
see the process by which we catalog and search armory.

> Crosses are throughout by default.  If two or more charges in sequence
> have the same tincture, you just specify the tincture after the last
> one -- that is, you can drop the first "argent".

Was wondering about that...  Thanks for the clarifier.

> I don't know if you care about this issue.  Albeit without doing
> research, I doubt that dogwood blossoms were used in period armory.

Hum... interesting point. I doubt that it will deter me on this
specific effort, but given the game we play, I consider it foolish to
not at least be aware of how historically accurate a piece of armory
is or is not.

> - Europeans likely saw dogwood flowers in period

This is a forgone conclusion as I understand it. I beleive that the
Catholic church holds that the Dogwood is an emblum of the Cross used
to crucify Jesus. More to the point, the story of the Dogwood was
being told to the faithful in medeival europe.

Ivo