[ANSTHRLD] new Sable Thistle at GE event

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at texas.net
Tue Sep 9 18:24:13 PDT 2008

FYI: the category recommended is not always the one that gets awarded.  My
Sable Thistle is in "Name Research" and I found out after I got it that it
was recommended as "Onomastics".  My understanding is that it got changed
from "Onomastics" to "Name Resesarch" because people wouldn't understand
what "Onomastics" was.

By the way, I'd never heard of the word Toxophilitic before this.  So, if I
was facing it in the O.P., I'd have to go get a dictionary to figure it out.

Mari

At 08:05 PM 9/9/2008 -0500, you wrote:
>And here I was being nice and you had to give away secrets.  Considering
>that the majority of people putting award recs for archery is most
>likely going to be archers I would bet they would know what it means.
>Those that don't most likely do by now.  If not then those of us who do
>know what it means will probably continue to use it.  You have to admit
>it is fun watching the heralds try to pronounce it.
>
>Iaen
>
>Bob Wade wrote:
>> I've never heard heralds being called smart and clever before.  Geeky
and devious maybe ... :)

>> I must agree, however, with Hillary.  Poor Zodiacus has enough to do
already without trying to denote sub-categories.  Besides, heralds don't
make up the award categories.  They just record what the Crown announces,
which is usually based on what people who make Award Recommendations
suggest.  Is the average person making an award rec smart and clever enough
to know Toxophilitic Craftsmanship is a sub category in the artistic field
of archery?

<heralds at lists.ansteorra.org>
>> Date: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 7:05 PM
>>
>> And that someone would have been his Excellency Stargate.  It was stated
>> as so by his Majesty.  As far as calling it Toxophilitic Craftsmanship
>> it is one possible name that could and in this case was used.  I would
>> think the College of Heralds is smart and clever enough to include this
>> as a sub category in the field of archery arts.
>>
>> Iaen
>>
>> Hillary Greenslade wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings,
>>> HL Eadric Anstapa said (on the Gate's Edge and Ansteorran Archery
>>>
>> lists):
>>
>>> "Finally...  In court Saturday evening Their Majesties awarded a
>>>
>> Sable
>>
>>> Thistle for his accomplishments in  *Toxophilitic Craftsmanship *to Lord
>>> Padraic of Kilkenny.  "
>>>
>>> I looked it up to be sure, though it was mentioned in court, that
>>>
>> *Toxophilitic Craftsmanship*, is for a Sable Thistle in Archery arts.
>>
>>> I know using this term was amusing in court and perhaps more
>>>
>> linguistically correct than 'a Sable Thistle in the field of Archery'.
>> But I think it's best to stick with categories in the OP that have been
used
>> already for prior award recipients, for consistency sake; unless a
completely
>> new art medium area.
>>
>>> There is already a long history of 'Archery' category holders of
>>>
>> the Sable Thistle, and if the OP is ever setup to sort based on that
Category
>> field (hint), then this new holder will not be listed with the others.
I have