[ANSTHRLD] Heraldic design question

Teceangl tierna.britt at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 00:03:07 PDT 2008

> Can a chief triangular be ploye' ? That is, can it have concave rather than straight sides, like the difference between a gore and a gusset?

No. A chief triangular is considered to have a complex line, the
pointy bit being nonstandard on chiefs. Ploye is also a complex line,
one that gives no difference from straight but is nonetheless not
straight. And two complex lines cannot be used together without
documentation of period use.

Here are the Laurel precedent on double complex lines, chiefs
tr5iangular with complex lines, and ploye being complex:

[A chief triangular embattled] With very rare exceptions (e.g. in
combination with enarched lines), the use of two or more complex lines
on the same charge is confusing, and unattested in period armory.
(Wavy raguly? Embattled rayonny? I think not.) In this case, the chief
could be either embattled or triangular --- but not both. (Johann Götz
Kauffman von Erfurt, December, 1992, pg. 20)

[returning chapé ploye engrailed ] This uses a doubly-complex line of
division which is not acceptable. ...while it may be reasonably argued
that this is only one step from period practice... [it is] an
extremely big step from period practice. While it is true that lines
could be enarched and also embattled, engrailed, etc., the enarching
was basically to show the curvature of the shield. We do not believe
that such is the case of a chapé ployé. (Nathan Rubenszoon Adelaer,
6/97 p. 12)

- Teceangl
--
Head returns off at the pass -