[ANSTHRLD] branch pursuivant title instruction, please

kevinkeary at aol.com kevinkeary at aol.com
Mon Sep 29 16:07:41 PDT 2008

Emma enlightened:

>See RfS III.2.b.iii. COMPATIBLE NAMING STYLE AND GRAMMAR, Name Style,
>Non-Personal Names, Heraldic Titles:
>
>iii. Heraldic Titles - Heraldic titles must follow the patterns of
period
>heraldic titles.
>
>These are generally drawn from surnames ( Chandos Herald, Percy
Herald),
>place-names ( Windsor Herald, Calais Pursuivant, Sicily Herald), names
of
>heraldic charges ( Crosslet Herald, Estoile Volant Pursuivant, Noir
Lyon
>Pursuivant), names of orders of chivalry ( Garter King of Arms), and
mottos
>( Ich Dien Pursuivant, Esperance Pursuivant).

Thank you, Honorable Lady.

When I started looking into this, I came up with a list of charges from
our badges or our arms, truncated portions of our service order name,
and the like, to run by my nobles and seneschal. My baron
counter-suggested 'embattled', which is a period heraldic term, of
course, but isn't itself a charge. He just liked the sound of
'Embattled Pursuivant'. This is the reason I asked about 'adjectives'.
I think I now know enough to tell him at populace tonight that it would
be at best an uphill battle to register that -- especially since none
of our armory has anything embattled in it.