[ANSTHRLD] english for the image

Teceangl tierna.britt at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 14:47:47 PDT 2009

Tostig gave a blazon of "Per bend sinister Or and azure, on a bend
sinister sable, between a castle gules and a X knot (need a graphic to
blazon specifically) argent, three crescents Or."

That's a good one. The detail on the castle door is artistic, not
worth blazoning. If Laurel sees the pennants worth blazoning, they'll
be added. If they're important to the submittyer, mention that with
the submission so Laurel can make that decision.

> Complexity is a problem.  There are 5 tinctures and 4 types of charges.  Heraldry should be no more complicated than necessary to avoid conflict.

Or, azure, sable, gules, argent
bend sinister, castle, knot, crescents

Eight is the rule of thumb for complexity. Can you talk your client
into an Or knot?

Now, I'm concerned with the 'fretty knot'.  If it's a mascle knot -
http://www.sca.org.au/herald/camel/1995/06/cordonr.gif - it's a fatal
problem. That's a mascle knot and they were disallowed in 1996.
If it's a fret -
http://yorkshirehistory.com/Gallery/albums/H/harrington.gif - then
it's a fine period charge. A fret is throughout by default, if not it
needs to be blazoned 'couped'.

Send me the picture - tierna at agora.rdrop.com
I'll put it on my webpage so we can all see it.

- Teceangl
--
Head returns off at the pass -
http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/boing.html