[ANSTHRLD] Blazon question

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Mon Apr 20 19:35:58 PDT 2009

Hallgeirr wrote:
> How do I describe charge placement when the charges are at the top
> two corners and bottom point of the device?

Well, a charge in the top left corner (as you're looking at the field
face-on) would be "in canton", one in the top right would be "in
sinister canton", and one down at the bottom in the center would be
"in base".

If they're the only things on the field and they're drawn to properly
fill it, however, they'd normally just be "three [charge type]",
since two-and-one is the default arrangement for three on the field.

If the charges are small and peripheral because they're secondary to
another charge group, they'd normally just be blazoned after the
primayr charge with, "between three", as in "Azure, dog between three
mullets argent."  Smaller and more peripheral is what defines a
secondary charge group, so you wouldn't have to say anything to
indicate that they're out toward the edges.

Coblaith Muimnech
<mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>