[ANSTHRLD] Could someone double check me on this conflict check?

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Aug 6 09:04:06 PDT 2009

I have introduced a modern concept known as "paragraphs".

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009, kevinkeary at aol.com wrote:
> I have a client that wants a badge "(Fieldless) A lily Sable"

We don't capitalize Tinctures, except for Or.

> I count it as clear of "(fieldless) A lily blossom argent" and
> "Sable, a lily blossom Or", in each case one for the field and one
> for the primary tincture. So I told him it was clear.
>
> But in doing a more thourough check, I find "Argent, chaussé ployé
> azure fretty Or, a madonna lily slipped and leaved sable."

Best to mention the name and the date.  Gwennan ferch Gwydion Ddyved,
October 1990, Trimaris.  From the LoAR: "[Irr. comment from the Laurel
meeting: 'One out of every three devices suffers from the painful itch
of piles, and frets about it.']"

> I think all that froo at the start is just the field, and I find a
> precedent that says 'slipped and leaved' does not grant a CD, and
> whatever a 'madonna lily' is, I doubt it's a CD from a standard
> lily.  So, in spite of the fact that these two pieces of armory look
> almost nothing alike, I think they conflict.
>
> Please tell me I'm wrong as usual.

You're wrong, as usual.

(It would be rude not to oblige.)

The treatment of "fret" and "fretty" in SCA conflict-checking went
back and forth for years.  Finally, Bruce Laurel, in the early 1990s,
settled it: fretty is merely an artistic variation of a fret, and
fretty/a fret is a charge.

So the first CD is for the fieldless bribe, and the second CD is for
removal of the secondary charges (the fretty).

Mind you, it's no longer permitted to charge chauss{e'} or chap{e'}.
But that doesn't affect something that's already registered.

As for "whatever a madonna lily is", http://images.google.com/ is your
friend.  A madonna lily is as lily as a lily can be.  You just can't
get more lily.  When you think lily, you think madonna lily.
Madonna lily, the mark of QUALITY.  Accept no substitutes.

Danyll "I can't believe it's not madonna lily" de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com