[ANSTHRLD] question about baronial service order award charters

Duncan Hepburn duncan at stormypetrel.org
Thu Aug 20 08:59:29 PDT 2009

Greetings to the heralds of Ansteorra,

I have a question for which there might be no right answer, but I've
been made part of a task that requires me to try to find an answer.

In the past, the Barony of the Steppes had no text or charter for it's
baronial service award. This past weekend, our Baroness Katheryn changed
that by advancing a person and giving them a scroll. She also offered to
get a parchment to any oak who wanted one, (A bold project for a bold
baroness!) which is the project I (and others) now work at.

A dilemma has come up in how to fill in a charter for a person who did
not have a baronial service award prior to becoming it's principal, so
my question is this: Would their predecessor be considered as the one to
give them that award? Themselves? The crown?

We are designing charters specific for each past landed noble of the
Steppes, so this affects which version of the charter they would
receive, and maybe also how many we have to design.

Thanks in advance,

Duncan Hepburn
scribe and herald