[ANSTHRLD] question about baronial service order award charters

Jay Rudin rudin at peoplepc.com
Thu Aug 20 09:52:41 PDT 2009

Duncan asked:

>A dilemma has come up in how to fill in a charter for a person who did
>not have a baronial service award prior to becoming it's principal, so
>my question is this: Would their predecessor be considered as the one to
>give them that award? Themselves? The crown?

It can't be their predecessor, who is no longer in ofice.  It can't be themselves -- that's illegal.  It has to be the Crown, who are in fact the ones who call them up and give them the barony that it comes with.

When Allemanius became baron, he founded the barony.  There was no predecessor.

When Aureliane became baroness, Allemanius had not been baron for five months.  (Also, he was never baron in the kingdom of Ansteorra, and could never have given anything to a baroness chosen by Ansteorra's Crown.)

When Exiter and Anne-Louise became baron and baroness, Aureliane has already resigned the barony, and wasn't even at the event.

When Thorkell and Kalida became baron and baroness, I had wanted to give them Oaks first, but the Queen said not to, because they'd be getting them a few minutes later anyway.

In general, the old B&B step down and walk away, and only then are the new ones called up and made B&B (and Oaks).  The old B&B are no longer B&B by then, and have no authority to give out awards.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin