[ANSTHRLD] question about baronial service order award charters

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Aug 20 17:13:59 PDT 2009

On Thu, 20 Aug 2009, Diane Rudin <serena1570 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> said persons should receive a specially-phrased Oak charter
> **from their successors as B&B**
> ***confirming*** (not granting) their status as Oaks, with date and
> precedence from their investiture as B&B, and thus also Principals
> of the Order of the Oak.

With trepidation for entering into the lists held by Serena, I will
suggest that a charter of confirmation need not come from their
immediate successor.

There is a story told in W. L. Warren's _Henry II_, pp. 303 et seq.
I'm not sure why this story has stuck in my mind -- maybe de Lacy's
rhetoric -- but I like it, and I wish the SCA had court business like
this.

     Some kinds of business which did not necessarily concern the whole
     realm were nevertheless thought to be better done in public.  The
     abbot of Battle Abbey, founded by William the Conqueror at the
     site of his victory near Hastings, came one day to Henry II and
     showed him a foundation charter which had decayed with age.  The
     king said it ought to be renewed.  The abbot asked that it be done
     by means of a charter of confirmation, but the king said 'I may
     not do so without a judgment of my court' (nisi ex judicio curiae
     mea).  The abbot consulted the justiciar, Richard de Lucy, who
     advised him of a proper time to make his request, and promised him
     that 'if our judgement is asked you will get the unanimous support
     of the whole court'.  So the abbot raised the matter again 'when
     the king was sitting in the midst of his magnates'.  The king
     asked for the views of the madnates whether he might do as
     requested or not, and Richard de Lucy spoke up and said, 'It would
     be proper to renew this charter of Battle, my lord, if it please
     you, for even if all its charters had perished, we ourselves ought
     to be its charters, for we owe our fiefs to that victory at
     Battle.  And since you ask for our judgement as to whether you
     should do it or not, we adjudge that the charter should be renewed
     by a confirmation on your authority ...'  So the king called his
     chancellor and dictated the form that the confirmation was to
     take. [1] ...

     [1] Chronicon Monasterii de Bello, 164-5.  The king, it is said,
     dictated a new form of wording: charters of confirmation normally
     incorporated the phrase 'as the earlier charter testifies', but
     Henry II ordered this to be omitted, and devised a formula which
     made the new charter fully authoritative even if all earlier
     charters should perish.  The abbot prudently had several copies
     made in the chancery.

Of course, Henry II was fourth after William the Conqueror;
William's immediate successor had long since had his
"tragic" fatal hunting "accident" ("O gracious God!").

Is there medieval evidence of someone who no longer held an office
issuing legal documents relating to it?  Of course, "the title of a
former king was 'the Late', or if he was lucky,
'the Blinded and Castrated'".  The only medieval example I could think
of would be a bishop who had been translated, or a removable official
like a sheriff.  I would think it much more likely that the current
holder would issue documents of confirmation in their own name,
perhaps (as above) with reference to previous actions by a
predecessor.

And Aureliane was (last I heard) so gafiated that she would absolutely
never come back, so how would her signature be obtained?

Danel Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com