[ANSTHRLD] question about baronial service order award charters

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sat Aug 22 20:36:59 PDT 2009

About
<http://historian.ansteorra.org/wiki/index.php?title=Image:Allemandus_Scroll.jpg>

On Sat, 22 Aug 2009, Jay Rudin <rudin at peoplepc.com> wrote:
> Daniel wrote:
>> and gave membership to him specifically.  Dated 22 March 1980.
>> This does not seem to be quite in accordance with what I remember
>> Robin writing, that it was a custom from the earliest days.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by that.  These are exactly the people
> that I said made the ruling, at the exact time I said the ruling was
> made.  I wrote:
>
> R> This was decided in Ansteorra when the question came before the
> R> second Crown (Lloyd and Joselyn), the first Principal Herald
> R> (Aureliane), and the second precedence herald (Adelicia).
> R>
> R> They decided, based in part on the order constitutions (not
> R> charters, which are the scrolls) that the Principal of the Order
> R> had all rights and privileges that Companions have, and that
> R> Companions have the right to remain members in perpetuity.  At
> R> that time, all baronial orders had the exact same wording in
> R> their constitutions.
>
> I know that the reasons I gave are not in the document (the
> existence of which I hadn't known), but the discussion was over half
> an hour long.  I don't remember all of it, and not all of it will be
> in the document.

What I noted is that the document did not make such a general policy,
and indeed, it stated that such a policy did not exist.  Instead, it
gave it to him on grounds of merit.

     And whereas there is no provision made for automatic membership of
     a resigned Principal into that Order, either by Letter of the Law
     or Long Used Custom,

     Be it known,

     It is Our desire that Allemandus Draconis be awarded these Orders
     dated to his initial Principalship of each Order, on the Strength
     that he has serves each Well and Faithfully for these years, in
     the capacity of both Baron and Principal.

[Irritated peeve: "You 'desire'.  Whoop de do.  Now where's the
'we give and grant' or 'therefore we will and firmly direct',
the working parts?"]

Consideration of this case may have prompted the policy.  I just found
it interesting that this document carefully avoided it entirely.

Dannet de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com