[ANSTHRLD] OT: little end of the year Heraldic/Chivalric humor

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Dec 28 18:02:06 PST 2009

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009, Bob Wade <logiosophia at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Richard Culver / Wihtric <rbculver at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Before anyone gets mad, this is a joke I came up with at a fighter
>> practice.  I came up with it purely on a larky but a lack of sleep
>> led me to getting this out of my head.  I firnly acknowledge I
>> would be the first to belong to this joke order.  Hopefully any
>> Centurions here will forgive me the chance for a laugh, however
>> small.
>> Order of the Plebians of the Sable Pale of Ansteorra- A fighting
>> order of distinction for the ability to make a better target than
>> fighter and get clubbed like a seal time after time.
>
> I give up ... why a seal?  (I would have gone for a duck sejant)

"Clubbed like a seal" has only about 50 hits in Google.  The far more
common wording is "clubbed like a baby seal" (about 61,300 hits),
referring to the hunts of young seals in eastern Canada.  (The SCA CoA
does not register depictions of identifiably juvenile animals.)

I recall an April 1 submission of some years ago that had a byname
meaning "seal-killer" from Geirr Bassi ("selbsbani" or some such)?
I think the device had a field goutty gules with a seal statant on a
base gules.  I'd check the KWHS proceedings from 1994?; I think that
was the one that came in 3 volumes and had a lot of humor.

Danet Lincoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com