[ANSTHRLD] Grillage

John Atkinson johnmatkinson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 00:30:06 PST 2009

OK, I've got a client who wants a sort of grid-pattern on his arms.

I talked to a slew of folks who came up blank, except one person gave
me the term "grillage".  Since then, I've found it in:

The PicDic 2nd Edition

Precedents of Da'ud
http://heraldry.sca.org/laurel/precedents/daud2/armm2q.html

One item registered in 1994 and reblazoned in 1999
http://oanda.sca.org/oanda_bp.cgi?p=grillage&c=case-insensitive&l=25&s=name+only&d=modern&g=enabled&a=disabled

The website of said canton still exists and still uses those arms
http://forestgate.eastkingdom.org/

Woodward's Treatise on Heraldry
http://books.google.com/books?id=38psAAAAMAAJ&pg=RA1-PA98&lpg=RA1-PA98&dq=grillage+heraldry&source=bl&ots=9mT5jK7QCe&sig=Zlb5YV-GKRW_gqau8UoOinHxHaI&hl=en&ei=INCXSab4E4nKtQPZtt2QAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result

Is this screwball field treatment still registerable?  I don't want to
tell him "go ahead, there's precedent for it" if it's going to get
shot down in flames.

Ioannes Dalassenos
--Vita Aureliani