[ANSTHRLD] Heraldic Heirs

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Feb 4 12:16:42 PST 2009

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009, Bob Wade <logiosophia at yahoo.com> wrote:
> A member of our branch posed an interesting set of questions.
> Although no heraldic wills were registered, they are the heraldic
> heirs of three people - spouse and both parents.

How are they a heraldic heir -- residuary legatee in a real-world
will?

> (1) How do they notify Laurel they are the POC as heraldic heirs?

Why would they notify Laurel they are the POC as heraldic heirs?
Heraldic inheritance is an heir-driven process; as far as I can see,
they can tell Laurel then.

Also, Laurel does not control real-world wills, so they may not be the
residuary legatee at the time of death.  So Laurel would have to get
evidence at that time anyway.

> (2) Enough heraldic registrations (Names, Devices and Badges) are
> involved that transferring all of them to the heir would violate
> the personal registration limit.  Are inherited registrations
> applied to that limit?

You can't inherit a larger count, but did you know that the limits
were raised from 4 to 6 a little while ago?  (That is, six names + six
pieces of armory for everything but an SCA branch that has a
ceremonial head.)  Does that help?

Would they really want to transfer the personal names?

Daniel de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com