[ANSTHRLD] Grillage

John Atkinson johnmatkinson at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 01:45:02 PST 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 3:37 AM,  <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:

>    It is a period treatment: Strangways' Book, c. 1450, blazons it as
>    "square fretty" and assigns it to the arms of Sir John Mandeville.
>
> If it had been simply "and was used as a charge in the arms of", it
> would be a slam dunk by RfS VIII.2, Period Armorial Elements.  But
> that wording makes it look like attributed arms, or arms that might
> have been attributed.  It's a period heraldic treatise, and they made
> up shit like you wouldn't believe.

Considering that Sir John Mandeville is a fictional character--or at
least a nom de plume--I'm not sure that it even counts there, as
period heralds seem to have really gone buck-wild in attributing arms
to fictional, legendary, and historical individual in the absences of
any real arms.

Ioannes Dalassenos
--Vita Aureliani