[ANSTHRLD] Fur or Color with a semy?

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Jan 19 13:38:13 PST 2009

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, lariandrobert at fuse.net wrote:
> Not really. I remembered that mascles (hollow diamonds) were already
> protected because of their use by Magen David Adom. I was asking
> about a possible future restriction on lozenges (filled diamonds).
>
> I _thought_ I remembered some discussion that referenced an
> expressed desire by the ICRC to move toward a gules lozenge as its
> over-arching, culturally neutral symbol. I may have hallucinated
> that conversation.

Perhaps not hallucinating; maybe you were nodding off.

"Magen David Adom" is Hebrew for "Red Star of David".  Their symbol is
... a red Star of David (a triangle voided gules, overall another
inverted).  They could not get that symbol approved [political
flamewar omitted].

The Third Protocol Emblem, the mascle gules ("Red Crystal"), was
adopted in 2005 as a neutral symbol.  Magen David Adom uses it outside
Israel.

Lozenges are not used as symbols of the Red Cross / Red Crescent
movement.  It is extremely unlikely that they will be.

Daniel Lindum Colonia
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com