[ANSTHRLD] Fur or Color with a semy?

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Jan 19 11:26:37 PST 2009

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009, Mike Wyvill <wyvillmike at hotmail.com> wrote:
> As Danyell has made the point that it would still be returned almost
> as a matter of course, what about replacing the Azure ermined or
> with a true fur like Vair?

Ermine is as true a fur as vair.

> Still run into the same color on color concerns?

It's in the text I quoted and you re-quoted:

     2. Armorial Contrast. - All armory must have sufficient contrast
        to allow each element of the design to be clearly identifiable
        at a distance.

        ... Furs equally divided of light and dark pieces, such as
        vair, are classed with other evenly divided elements, such as
        paly, per bend, or lozengy.

        a. Contrasting Tinctures - Good contrast exists between: ...

            ii. An element equally divided of a color and a metal, and
                any other element as long as identifiability is
                maintained;

So vair is neutral.  You merely can't put things on it that contain
blue or white.

Danet de Lyncoln
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com