[ANSTHRLD] Fwd: Welsh Title Pronunciation Question

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Tue Jul 21 18:42:10 PDT 2009

[Forwarded with permission. -- DdL]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 23:37:52 -0700
From: Heather Rose Jones <heather.jones at EARTHLINK.NET>
To: tmcd at panix.com
Subject: Re: Welsh Title Pronunciation Question

Jumping ahead to your final question [about usage -- I snipped that
part], the recommendations for use of these items as alternate titles
was based on an extensive research project which was published in the
1990 Heraldic Symposium Proceedings.  I've been meaning to put it up
on my web site as well, but then I think I should update some of the
research and then it falls back off the "to do" list.

The short version is:

"Edling" and "Gwrthrychiad" both have a primary meaning of "heir (to a
territorial title)" and are appropriate alternates for "prince" _only_
in the case of a Crown Prince, not in the case of a territorial
prince.  ("Edling" is a borrowing into Welsh of the Anglo-Saxon
"aetheling", while "gwrthrychiad" has its roots in a meaning along the
lines of "one who has expectations [of inheriting]".)

"Tywysog" was the standard term for a territorial prince -- it's less
clear how regularly it might have been used for the son and heir of a
king.

"Teyrn" is a somewhat more archaic and more abstract term than
"tywysog" -- it might translate better as "ruler", hence the
recommendation that it be used for any of the territorial royalty.
I would consider it less likely than "tywysog" to be used for a king's
heir.

The following pronunciation guides are based on late-period/modern
standard pronunciations.  Discussing earlier period pronunciations
gets more complicated.

Tywysog - "tuh-WUH-sohg"  (last syllable has the same vowel as English "so")

Teyrn - Rhymes with "cairn"

Edling - Pretty much like it looks -- "ED-ling"

Gwrthrychiad - goorth-RUKH-yahd, that is: first syllable sort of like
English "worth" but with a hard "g" stuck in front of it; second
syllable has the same vowel as "truck", but the final sound is the
"hard ch" as in Scottish "loch"; last syllable is like an Old
Bostonian pronuniciation of "yard" as in "Haaa-vaaad Yaaaad".  :-)

Tangwystyl