[ANSTHRLD] medieval soldiers' surnames

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 23 12:25:32 PDT 2009

We have over the last couple of days discussed the database for the
The Soldier in Later Medieval England project, at <http://
www.icmacentre.ac.uk/soldier/database/index.php>, on this list, in a
thread with the subject line "Agincourt soldier history online
database".  Questions were raised as to whether some or all of the
surnames in the database might have been normalized, due to an
ambiguous statement on the website.  So I used the "for more
information contact" link at the bottom of the index page to ask for
clarification.  Dr. Adrian Bell, Senior Lecturer in the History of
Finance and Director of Teaching and Learning at the ICMA Centre,
answered my inquiry, confirming that while the given names have been
normalized, the surnames are unaltered.

Coblaith Muimnech
<mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>
<http://coblaith.net>