[ANSTHRLD] Pull the Files - Coronet Arms

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Jul 23 19:23:11 PDT 2009

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Star Principal Herald <star at ansteorra.org> wrote:
>> Then in May 1980:
>>
>>     Kingdom of Ansteorra. Or , a mullet of five greater and five
>>     lesser points sable within a laurel wreath vert, in chief a
>>     crown dancetty, all within a tressure sable, overall issuant
>>     from base a demi sun gules.
>>
>>     Queen of Ansteorra. Or, a mullet of five greater and five
>>     lesser points sable within a wreath of six roses sable, barbed,
>>     slipped and leaved vert, each rose charged with another Or,
>>     seeded sable, barbed vert, in chief a crown dancetty, all
>>     within a tressure sable, overall issuant from base a demi sun
>>     gules.

> And that's it in the LoARs.
>
> In modern LoARs, if the submitter is changing their device/arms,
> there's an explicit line of text saying whether the old device is
> being released or retained as a badge [1].
>
> I haven't read period LoARs (snrk) to know whether there was
> implicit release, or implicit retention, or whether that was an
> erroneous omission then too.

In the same month,
<http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/loar/1980/05/lar.htm>,

     Anborn Athelson of Bardingale. Gyronny azure and argent, a cross
     potent between in pall three fleurdelys counterchanged.

     Badge for House of Bardingale. (Anborn's previous device). Per
     pale indented gules and Or, in fess a sun Or and a pheon sable.

and

     Hillary Stormrider. Azure, an estoille within six dolphins naiant
     in annulo, all within a bordure Or.

     Note: Her old device now becomes her badge.

(with a similar example for Maythen of Elfhaven  in the previous
month,
<http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/loar/1980/04/lar.htm>)

Two months later,
<http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/loar/1980/07/LAR.htm>,

     Gavin Kilkenny of Kilcarren. Change of name from Grinmir Bogmodr
     and device change. Sable, a lion rampant affront{e'}e Or,
     maintaining in dexter forepaw a sword bendwise sinister enflamed
     and in sinister forepaw another inverted proper.

     NOTE: Unless I receive specific instructions to make old devices
     into badges, an old device is stricken from the ordinary when it
     is replaced with a new device.

Maybe Ansteorra does *not* actually have arms registered to the prince
and princess?  But we'll see what Ragged Staff disinters.

Daniel de Lindecolina
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com