[ANSTHRLD] Welsh Title Pronunciation Question

Richard Culver rbculver at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 28 19:06:26 PDT 2009

I got this from a lady in my neighborhood who is Welsh.  I wrote her when
the original question came up but she only recently responded...

Ty-wy-sog is the Welsh word for "prince", and both "y"s here have the same
"uh" sound as in "duh". The "o" is as in "sock" - change the -ck" for a hard
"g". So "tuh-wuh-ssog", with emphasis on the second syllable.

Teyrn means "monarch", and again starts off with that "uh" sound. Tuheern -
the whole word is just one syllable. The Welsh "r" is always rolled (imagine
a child making a car sound.. tongue at the top of the mouth, vibrating!) The
Italian "r" is somewhat similar.

Ed-ling means "heir apparent". "e" in Welsh is pronounced "eh" - as in
"bed", and "i" is always as in "link" (short "ee" sound). Emphasis on the
first syllable. Think "bed-link"... ed-ling.

Gwrth-rych-iad means "heir" and is a little more complicated: "w" is always
like "w-ith" or "w-ant" (in this case, a short "oo" sound". "th" is always
hard, as in "th-ing", NOT soft as in "the".)
 "y" is again as in "duh". "ch" is the sound you make when you clear
something nasty from your throat! (English folks who can't do that usually
just make it a hard "c", as in "c-at" - think the German composer, J. S.
Bach.)- think "tough... rough.. rych. The last syllable is the same as in
"my-riad".

Godspede!

Wihtric