[ANSTHRLD] Flower question.

Bob Wade logiosophia at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 13 17:34:07 PDT 2009

The first SCA registration of a dogwood occurred at Heraldicon (Jul 1979).  It was reblazoned later that year (Dec 79).  Judging from the registered blazons this submission seems the only one which has the colored tip of the period flower you described at the Decision Meeting.

The next registration specified Cornus florida (Jul 1980).  It seems to have been used ever since.

Have checked the herbal at our house, but the dogwood isn't mentioned let alone pictured.  Hopefully, someone else has a better one.

Precedence Dive Results:

"Brighid of Bethanie. Device (correction). Per bend sinister Or and vert, a dogwood flower argent tipped gules fimbriated sable, and a mourning dove close to sinister argent. [July 1979]" [LoAR Dec 79]

"Sylvana Dagfinsdottir. Vert, on a head sinister vert fimbriated Or three dogwood blossoms proper. (Cornus florida) " [LoAR July 1980]

"Lyra Aithne of Aethelgard. Argent, a swan naiant sable and on a chief embattled azure three pink dogwood blossoms proper. (Cornus florida)
"NOTE: Name rejected. Lyra is Latin for harp and is not a period given name. you could be Aithne of Aethelgard. Dogwood blossoms are either pink or white and must be so specified. The device seems acceptable." [LoAR Nov 82]

"Fleur du Lac de Cristal (submitted as Fleur de Cristal Lac). Name and device. Azure, in pale three dogwood blossoms argent, tipped gules, between two flaunches Or each charged with a fleur­de­lys gules.
"NOTE: Cristal is a noun (Dubois I 177), not an adjective; the French for "Crystal Lake" is Lac de Cristal. We have amended the name accordingly. DISCUSSION: Dauzat notes that Fleur occurred frequently as a feminine baptismal name in the Middle Ages; it is a popular form of the name of Saint Florus. From the shape of the flower, this appears to be a Flowering Dog-wood (Cornus Florida), the bracts of which may be white or pink (Handbook of Natural History, p. 269), so the tinctures should be specified explicitly. [Loar May 85]
Adaleide de Warewic. Device. Per chevron azure and gules, three dogwood blossoms one and two and a tower argent.
"This device conflicts with the device of Jamila al-Zuhayriyya, Per pale gules and azure, four quatrefoils in cross argent, which is registered elsewhere on this letter. There is a CD for changes to the field but nothing for changing the type only of one quarter of the charges. Both Adaleide and Jamila are paid members. As Atenveldt's LoI is dated one day earlier than Outlands's LoI, Adaleide's device takes precedence and is registered. She has provided a letter of permission to conflict to Jamila.
"The submitted device does not conflict with the device for Aldgytha of Ashwood, Per saltire gules and sable, four roses argent barbed and seeded proper. There is a CD for changes to the field. Dogwood blossoms are essentially quatrefoils, and thus have a CD from roses. "This is in line with the precedent:

Ærne Clover. Device. Or, a four-leaved clover saltirewise slipped vert. This is clear of conflict with Kathleen Regina the Wild Irish Rose, Or, a rose vert, its stem nowed sable, in chief two lions rampant gules. The type comparison between the primary charges in the devices is, effectively, the difference between a rose and a quatrefoil, and these two charges have a type CD between them: "Quatrefoils and roses do not appear to have been considered equivalent charges in our period" (LoAR of October 1995). [LoAR 08/2002]
"This overturns the October 1998 precedent (v. David Cade) which said that there is no  difference between dogwood blossoms and roses." [LoAR Mar 08]