[ANSTHRLD] A question on behalf of a client

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Jul 17 12:20:26 PDT 2009

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009, Alasdair MacEogan <alasdair at bmhanson.net> wrote:
> kevinkeary at aol.com wrote:
>>  Can a LANDED baron do so, and then retain it after stepping down?
>
> A qualified yes. :-D A a general rule when landed barons step down
> they get a court barony and i believe the inception date is back
> dated to when they stepped up.  at least I have never seen a
> stepping down landed that did NOT get one if they were not already a
> baron.

In principle, it is not automatic, and I can imagine cases when the
king and queen would decide not to give a court barony to
stepping-down landed.  Mind you, you'd want to watch the massive
political meltdown from a distance, but it _could_ happen.
(The groups that were nuked in Pug's tenure: were any of them
baronies?  If so, did the last landeds get court baronies?)

But unless Star has changed or will change policy on this matter, I
believe that a landed noble gets no heraldic perqs due to being a
landed noble, except perhaps the "founding baron" perq (I'd have to
care enough to look up any wording).

Daniel de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com