[ANSTHRLD] royal badges?

kevinkeary at aol.com kevinkeary at aol.com
Thu Jul 23 09:45:55 PDT 2009

I wa trying to get answers for my client yesterday, and she kept
talking about the 'symbols' designating their majesties and their
highnesses in the Black Star, which I didn't have in front of me. I
checked the O&A, and found nothing registered other than the Arms we
discussed yesterday. I even said at one point there were no badges, and
no one on this list corrected me.

I went home and looked. Sure enough, there are 'badges' there that are
basically subsets of the arms of the sovereign/kingdom and of the
prince, with the orle and the demi-sun removed. These are
black-and-white renderings, so I have to assume the tinctures are the
same. They ARE color and metal where the Arms are color and metal.

Do these badges really exist, or are they being arrogated in exactly
the same way lesser branches, Northkeep included, are in the habit of
arrogating badges by using items from their arms but not the complete
arms. Northkeep, for instance uses "Gules, on a saltire argent a tower
sable" on the tabards of their Baronial Guard. This is not a badge we
own, and it conflicts with "Gules, a saltire argent", protected non-SCA
arms. We are working now on coming up with something that is both
acceptable to the Guard and registerable.

Even if these are not legal badges, their use in the Black Star I think
makes them recognizeable to the majority of the populace as symbols for
Ansteorra's royalty, and that is the major concern of my client. So, I
intend to change the advice I gave her yesterday and tell her she can
use them.

Unless there are objections?