[ANSTHRLD] Website's validity as a source for period words to be used in epitaphs (names)

Kazimierz Złowieszczy kazoflr at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 11:30:49 PDT 2009

If anyone has tried to research the medieval Polish language, I'm sure you
realize the difficulty in finding a source for period Polish vocabulary. I
have found a website that purports to be "an academic and educational
project concerned with early modern Polish literature" covering the
medieval, renaissance and baroque eras, basically the eleventh century to
the eighteenth century. The site is
http://www.staropolska.pl/ang/info/index.html.

On this site there is a section referred to as an "Old Polish Dictionary".
It is in Polish, but defines Old Polish vocabulary with Modern Polish
vocabulary. This portion of the site can be found at
http://www.staropolska.pl/slownik/. With the use of an Polish to English
dictionary, it is possible to roughly translate the listed Old Polish words
into Modern English.

That being said, I am hoping that someone with more experience in name
research could offer insight on the potential usefulness of this site in
documenting a period Polish name. Could this site be considered as a
reference for documentation?
 Kazimierz of Loch Ruadh
Newly Warranted Herald of Loch Ruadh