[ANSTHRLD] Blazon help.

Cisco Cividanes engtrktwo at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 13:42:55 PDT 2009

Hi everyone.

I wanted to thank everyone who answered my questions about the dogwood
flower a few weeks ago. I'm sorry I didn't get back to this before,
but life has not given me a lot of what you want to call extra time.

So, if I read the comments and e-mail properly, my submitted badge
(Top of page 7, May issue of the Ansteorran Gazette) the image should
be able to pass fine, but the blazon itself needs to be reworded so
that it doesn't conflict with the previously established default of an
American dogwood.

Link to gazette: http://herald.ansteorra.org/gazette/200905AG.pdf

Blazon: Vert, a cross throughout between four dogwood flowers and a chief
argent

A "dogwood", as most Americans would identify it looks like this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IMG_1527Dogwood.jpg
The Latin name, Cornus florida, kind of tells the tale in terms of
what continent it came from.

If you had said "dogwood" to King Henry V of England, he would likely
have identified this flowering tree (or bush, depending on how you
define the term).
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Cornus_sanguinea_jfg.jpg
Latin name: Cornus sanguinea

The Wikipedia article cited two historical alternate names for the
dogwood, "Dagwood", and "Whipple-tree" and gives citations for both. I
couldn't look up the first (Vedel, H., & Lange, J. (1960). Trees and
Bushes in Wood and Hedgerow. Metheun & Co. Ltd., London.), but the
second is the Canterbury tales, which evidently call the dogwood tree
a "whipple-tree". I looked that up a while ago, and I seem to remember
finding that the reference checks out.   I don't know if any of that
is even remotely useful, but I figured I would throw that out there
and see what everyone thought.

So... can anyone help me with the blazon so that I am not chancing a
conflict when this gets to Laurel?

Ivo Blackhawk