[ANSTHRLD] question about a badge

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Mon Jul 13 22:04:00 PDT 2009

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009, Bill Butler <chemistbb3 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> A previous post did say that it was the badge of the Earl Marshall.
> That is a specific person holding a specific office.

<http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/1973/01/letter2.htm> was a letter from
the then-Laurel King of Arms to the Board of Directors, stating that
the listed badges are "CORPORATE ARMS USED BY ALL BRANCHES OF THE
SOCIETY".  The directory in which the letter is listed implies that it
was published to heralds generally.

Other armory listed there, specifically the badge of the Steward
(nowadays called the Society Seneschal) and the College of Arms badge,
I know are used by such officers at all levels.

And

    d) The Imperial Marshall
    Sable, two swords in saltire proper.

[from two registrations in 1970,
<http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/1970/02/lar.html> and
<http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/1970/07/lar.html>, that should be "Or"
instead of "proper"]

I think the letter is solid enough to go by.

Daniel Lincolnia
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com