[ANSTHRLD] Court heraldry question.

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon Jun 29 08:44:32 PDT 2009

Robert Moritz wrote:
> The way you've shown is the way I usually did it.  Vivats for the
> individuals and Vivants for the groups.

I asked someone who knew Latin about detail.  They said that, if
you're "live longing" an SCA branch or other specific group, if the
group itself is singular, it takes the singular "vivat".  The same way
that, in English, you'd say "the Laurels are having a meeting" versus
"The Order of the Laurel is having a meeting".

     For the co-event stewards, Lady Elizabeth and Lord Henry, vivant!

     For the Companions of the Order of the Iris of Merit who judged
     the A&S competition, vivant!

     For the Order of the Star of Merit, who sponsored the tent-raising
     competition, vivat!

If someone wants to get a Latin scholar on the horn to confirm or
deny?

Danihel Lincolinum
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com