[ANSTHRLD] shire devices

Alasdair MacEogan alasdair at bmhanson.net
Fri Jun 12 11:59:11 PDT 2009

Childers, Jeff <Jeff.Childers at ttuhsc.edu> wrote:

>  There is a question about which direction the eagle SHOULD be facing for
>  our shire device here in adlershue. How do I go about finding this out?

First stat with the OANDA to verify the blazon.

Vert, an eagle displayed, wings inverted, within a laurel wreath and a base, all argent.

Being that it is not specified thn the head is defaulted to facing dexter.  Regaurdant would mean it is facing sinister.  If you are interested there is quite a bit of stuff on eagles in Parker's Glossary of Terms

http://www.heraldsnet.org/saitou/parker/Jpglosse.htm

You will find that dexter is the default for quite a bit in heraldry.

Alasdair