[ANSTHRLD] device help: gore & scorpion

Sæmundr inn skærr saemundrthepure at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 13:18:16 PDT 2009

Firstly, my apologies for not editing the subject.  I meant to do that.

Secondly, thank you for such a helpful reply.  That give me some great
information to proceed and actually you wrote it in a way that makes perfect
sense to me.

Lorenzo

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Coblaith Muimnech
<Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> Lord Lorenzo wrote:
>
>> I really like the look of the " Dexter Gore"  I believe it is called.  So,
>> I was wanting a dexter gore (red), with the rest of the "shield" being
>> green.
>>

> Gules (red) and vert (green) are both colors (as opposed to metals), so
> they don't have good contrast with one another.  A gore is a peripheral
> ordinary, which is a type of charge.  Per Part VIII.2.b of the Rules for
> Submissions, "The field must have good contrast with every charge placed
> directly on it. . .,"  <
> http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html#8.2>.   Therefore, the
> only way you could register a gules gore on a vert field would be as a
> documented exception.  You can read about what that would require in Part
> VIII.6 of the RfS <http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html#8.6>.
>
> Then I would like to put a yellow scorpion on the non gore part and have it
>> tilted left about 45 degrees.
>>

> O.K.
>
> Possible, I would like something in the gored part too but I havent a clue
>> what yet.
>>

> You can stop worrying about that.  We don't register charged gores <
> http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/precedents/daud/
> daud1bg.html#GORE>.
>
> How would i write that up . . .?
>>

> The device you describe would be, "Vert, a dexter gore gules and a scorpion
> bendwise Or," (assuming the scorpion is in its default posture).
>

> Have you considered looking to real medieval and Renaissance heraldry for
> inspiration?  There are links to quite a few armorials and images from other
> manuscripts in the Medieval Heraldry Archive <
> http://www.s-gabriel.org/heraldry/>.  The Rules for Submissions are
> designed to encourage period style, so if you start with period arms as your
> model, you'll have a leg up.
>

> Coblaith Muimnech
> Barony of Bryn Gwlad
> Kingdom of Ansteorra
> <mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>

Are you looking for Jim or Sæmundr?  Find them both at:
http://sites.google.com/site/saemundrofnamron/