[ANSTHRLD] device help: gore & scorpion (was: Quo Warranto?)

Teceangl tierna.britt at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 05:28:42 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 1:17 PM, Tim McDaniel <tmcd at panix.com> wrote:
> In an otherwise sterling article,
> Coblaith Muimnech <Coblaith at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>> A gore is a peripheral ordinary,
>
> Checking the COA Glossary of Terms at
> <http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/coagloss.html>, I see "Gores and
> gussets are _not_ peripheral charges (because they extend so far into
> the center of the field)."  It is, however, a charge, so the
> insufficient-contrast comment is nonetheless true.

They're peripheral charges.  The Glossary does not match practice,
probably needs an update.
----------------------------------
[Sable, a fox's mask between two gores argent.] This is returned for
conflict. Originally blazoned as Sable, two gores, in chief a fox's
mask argent, the fox's mask is correctly placed for a primary charge
placed between two peripheral gores. As such this conflicts with
Fandral Silverfox, Sable, a fox's mask argent, with a single CD for
adding the gores. [Hróbjartr melrakki, 07/05, R-Middle]
----------------------------------

Tierces are also peripherals:
----------------------------------
[Argent, a tierce gules] Conflict with ... Argent, a quarter gules.
RfS X.4.a.i and X.4.a.ii lists the quarter as a peripheral charge for
purposes of those rules. Peripheral charges may not be considered
primary charges, so there is one CD for changing the type of
peripheral charge, but not sufficient difference under RfS X.2.

Note that the only listing of peripheral charges in the Rules for
Submission is in RfS X.4.a. Previous precedents have used these
definitions in a wider sense than for that specific rule. So, even
though we are here considering the question of what is a peripheral
charge (and therefore not primary) for purposes of RfS X.2 rather than
RfS X.4.a, it seems appropriate to be guided by the listing of
peripheral charges in RfS X.4.a. [Charles the Grey of Mooneschadowe,
06/03, R-Ansteorra]
----------------------------------
[Argent, a tierce gules] This device is in conflict with ... Argent, a
mountain of three peaks issuant from base gules. The SCA currently
considers a mountain to be a variant of a mount, which is a peripheral
ordinary, as per the following precedents:

    Mountains, as variants of mounts, should be emblazoned to occupy
no more than the lower portion of the field. (Barony of Blackstone
Mountain, September, 1993, pg. 10)

    [a wolf statant gules atop a mount vert] The wolf appears to be
neither on nor atop the mount; a blazon which more accurately
reproduces the emblazon is Argent, a mount vert, overall a wolf
statant gules. However, we do not register charges that overlap
peripheral ordinaries. [Bastian Wolfhart, 11/99, R-Middle]

A tierce is also a peripheral ordinary. Rule X.2 does not apply
between these devices, as neither device has a primary charge.
Therefore, there is only one CD for difference of type of charge group
on the field. We encourage the College to research whether, under some
circumstances, mountains and mounts may be considered a primary charge
in their own right. After all, unlike a bordure, chief or base, a
mount and its variants may be couped and centrally placed on the
field. [Charles le Grey, 09/01, R-Ansteorra]
----------------------------------

So are wolves' teeth:
----------------------------------
[Per fess azure and gules, four wolves' teeth issuant from sinister
all within a bordure Or] Nobody present at the Wreath meeting was able
to identify this as a combination of wolves' teeth and a bordure. Most
thought it was some odd central charge (perhaps a modernish flame
sideways?); others noted remarkable similarity to a modern corporate
logo. Most of the commentary on this submission concerned
identifiability problems as well. Using a combination of one
peripheral charge issuant from another peripheral charge, especially
of the same tincture, is something that will require extreme care to
maintain identifiability. [Sundragon, Barony of, 04/04, R-Atenveldt]
----------------------------------

You may not charge a gore, gusset or tierce:
----------------------------------
[a sinister tierce sable semy-de-lis Or] The SCA does not register
charged tierces. "Based on the consensus of those commenting on this
issue, the College will ban the use of charged gores and charged
gussets, matching the ban on charged tierces. Uncharged gores, gussets
and tierces will continue to be registerable." (emphasis added).
(Cover Letter for the November 1991 LoAR, p. 2) [Alianor atte Red
Swanne, 01/03, R-Atlantia]

By the way, scorpions are period charges. So are lobsters. You'll find
pictures of both in the Medieval Heraldry Archive articles.

- Teceangl
--
Head returns off at the pass -
http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/boing.html