[ANSTHRLD] Kingdom Law and Groups (was Re: Chronological list of groups)

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Fri Nov 6 17:19:06 PST 2009

On Fri, 6 Nov 2009, Jay Rudin <rudin at peoplepc.com> wrote:
> Lady Star asked:

Lyon is called "Lord Lyon" because Lyon King of Arms is a judicial
office.

>> So this brings up the question: do we want to clarify in kingdom
>> law (as opposed to leaving it in tradition) where provinces and
>> cantons go in a procession-of-all-groups? If so, what specifically
>> should it be called, to distinguish it from the more usual
>> procession of Crown/Coronet/Landeds?
>
> To what purpose?

For the same purposes that we define precedence of people.

To prevent a heated argument in the back of the hall between the
retinues of Mooneshadowe and the new barony of Bottomlands, when
nobody considered it in advance and Their Highnesses were not asked
[1] and the poor bloody heralds just want to get Coronation
started. [2]

> We've already discussed doing it different ways under different
> conditions.

So too can marches of precedence be done in different ways, yet we
define personal precedence.

Mind you, I would be leery of bringing up the subject with the king
and queen, on the general principle that royal attention is not always
pleasant to the people who draw it and does not always go the way a
petitioner wants.

Danet de Linccolne

[1] E.g., the question was asked today about group creation dates for
a coronation tomorrow.

[2] That kind of question got very hot very fast in period: affray,
array, attainder, and possibly a reconsecration of Westminster Abbey,
if Monica Pulver's "Deer Abbey" is correct.

Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com