[ANSTHRLD] Place name help - High Medieval Scotland

Crandall crandalltwo-scalists at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 10 11:21:38 PST 2009

Easy search information found on several sites:
Most of which I found did not specifically say that Dumbarton was the name of the town or of the fortress that protected the area.

Castle in Dumbarton, West Dunbartonshire, Scot. [Credits : Alan Hughes]royal burgh (town), West Dunbartonshire council area, historic county of Dunbartonshire, Scotland. It lies north-northwest of the metropolitan complex of Glasgow, on the banks of the River Leven near its confluence with the River Clyde. The site is dominated by a hill of basalt—with an elevation of 240 feet (75 metres)—which has long been a defensive stronghold. The Alcluith (“Hill of the Clyde”) of the Celtic Britons and Dunbreatain (“Fort of the Britons”) of the Scots became (from the 5th to the 8th century) the capital of the kingdom of Strathclyde, later incorporated into Scotland. As a medieval royal fortress, Dumbarton occasionally fell into the hands of the English. It was designated a burgh in 1222, and its municipal privileges were confirmed by a charter of James V of Scotland (1513–42). Shipbuilding, formerly an important industry, declined after World War II.
 Dumbarton’s main industry is now the blending and distilling of whisky. It is the administrative centre of West Dunbartonshire. Pop. (2004 est.) 20,070.
Related Articles

Aspects of the topic Dumbarton are discussed in the following places at Britannica.
Assorted References

    * Strathclyde (in Strathclyde (historical kingdom, Scotland, United Kingdom))

      ...6th century, had extended over the basin of the River Clyde and adjacent western coastal districts, the former county of Ayr. Its capital was Dumbarton, “fortress of the Britons,” then known as Alclut. The name Strathclyde was not used until the 9th or 10th century.
    * West Dunbartonshire (in West Dunbartonshire (council area, Scotland, United Kingdom))

      ...now manufactures offshore oil-drilling rigs and related equipment, and Clydebank also has pharmaceutical and financial service industries. Dumbarton, another shipbuilding area along the Clyde, to the northwest, now depends largely on service activities and the blending and distilling of whisky, while Alexandria, near Loch Lomond,...

Citations

MLA Style:
"Dumbarton." Encyclopædia Britannica. 2009. Encyclopædia Britannica Online. 10 Nov. 2009 <http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/173468/Dumbarton>.

APA Style:
Dumbarton. (2009). In Encyclopædia Britannica. Retrieved November 10, 2009, from Encyclopædia Britannica Online: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/173468/Dumbarton
"In all life one should comfort the afflicted, but verily, also, one should afflict the comfortable, and especially when they are comfortably, contentedly, even happily wrong." -John Kenneth Galbraith