[ANSTHRLD] Place name help - High Medieval Scotland

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 10 13:46:49 PST 2009

Dreda wrote:
> I am looking for documentation on the name of Dumbarton, Scotland,
> during the High Middle Ages (specifically 900-1054, during the
> existence of the Kingdom of Stratheclyde).. . .

> . . .I'm trying to register my name, using this location as the
> byname.

I don't have anything from your period.  But if your primary concern
is registration, you might be interested to know that a dozen or more
pre-17th-century variants of "Dumbarton" appear in the online
Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue <http://www.dsl.ac.uk/>.  The
earliest I found were these three from the 14th century:

    Dunbretane (1360, 1400)
    Dunbretayn (1363)
    Dumbretan (1329)

A typonymic incorporating any of these would match "Etheldreda" well;
it's got several 14th-century dates in Talan Gwynek's "Feminine Given
Names in A Dictionary of English Surnames" <http://heraldry.sca.org/
heraldry/laurel/reaneyAG.html>.  The first appears in the context of
a name ("Roberto de Dunbretane") in the original Latin document, so
such a use obviously plausible.

But don't forget, if you're thinking of combining one of these with
something like "Æðelðryd", that you have to worry about both temporal
and linguistic compatibility.  The combination of name phrases dated
more than 300 years apart is one step from period practice <http://
heraldry.sca.org/loar/1993/03/cvr.html>.  The combination of a name