[ANSTHRLD] Place name help - High Medieval Scotland

Kathleen O'Brien mari_1184 at att.net
Tue Nov 10 18:21:41 PST 2009

Just grabbing the pre-1300 examples, here's what I could find.

Black (p. 227 s.n. Dumbarton) lists:
     Magister Richardus de Dunbretan - 1235
     Clement de Dumbertan - 1271
The first of the two above is definitely Latin.  The second could be
Anglo-Norman French, Scoto-Norman French, or a partially updated Latin
listing.

And here's an example from 1296 in Anglo-Norman French - in the Ragman
Rolls (p. 142):
     Johan de Dunbretan

"Ragman Rolls" is the colloquial name.  The bibliography is:

_Instrumenta Publica Sive Processus Super Fidelitatibus et Homagiis
Scotorum Domino Regi Angli{ae} Factis A. D. MCCXCI - MCCXCVI._
(Edinburgh: Bannatyne Club, 1834).

I downloaded this awhile back from googlebooks.

Hope this helps,

Mari