[ANSTHRLD] Place name help - High Medieval Scotland

Kathleen O'Brien mari_1184 at att.net
Tue Nov 10 17:49:58 PST 2009

Are you interested in authenticity?  And have you narrowed down what
language(s) you're interested in?  The reason I ask is that, last I
heard, locative bynames were registerable in Scottish Gaelic, but
Effrick had not found examples used for regular people in Scotland in
period yet.

Now, I'd expect a byname meaning 'of Dumbarton' to be fairly typical in
Latin of your desired era, and most records were written in Latin in
Scotland of that time.  (Which is why I figured out how to write my name
in Latin appropriate for early 13th C Scotland - my period.)

I'll pull my volumes of the acts of the kings of Scotland and see if any
of them mention Dumbarton.  Most of those acts are in Latin.  A few of
the later volumes (later than your period) have a few of the acts in
Anglo-Norman French.

Mari