[ANSTHRLD] Anton de LaTour name

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 9 11:58:28 PDT 2009

Gregor Mac Beathain wrote:
> The client is requesting the name Anton de Latour. . .Submitter
> would like the correct name form for 14th Cen. France. . .

I commented:
> Incidentally, I think it's pretty clear that "Anton" wasn't in use
> as a given name in 14th-century France.  But if the client would
> rather use that form than have a historically accurate name, he
> probably can.  More than two dozen men named "Anton" are listed in
> Juliana de Luna's "Spanish Names from the Late 15th Century"
> <http://heraldry.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/isabella/index.html>.

It occurs to me that it might be worth mentioning, here, that
Juliana's article (cited above) also includes the locative byname "de
la Torre".   So a historically accurate name using "Anton" with a
byname meaning 'of the tower' is possible, just not in French.

Coblaith Muimnech
<mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>
<http://coblaith.net>