[ANSTHRLD] 16th Century Spanish names

Emily Minier adalia.nyx at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 08:56:27 PDT 2010

Masamune,

Doing a quick St Gabriel search (I'm at work without my books) provides the
following answers to your questions.

Is a double element given name possible in late period Spain?  Short answer
yes, but they are VERY rare (see letters 1042,1239, and 1491)  However, if
you are willing to use Miguel as part of your surname, instead of as a
second given name, there is considerably more leeway (see letters 1554 and
1632).

What would the AoA level of an hidalgo be? Senor with a tilde over the n

How would a married Moorish woman's name be done? she would be known as her
father's daughter (See letter 1925) or she could have been <muyer de senor
Juan> which is "wife of Mister/Lord Juan" (see letter 2412).  Further , she
could have a locative byname (see letter 2514).  Lastly, she could have an
occupational byname (see letter 2879).

Does the naming practice of <given name> <father's surname> <mother's
surname> or vice versa exist that far back? I haven't found anything (at
least in St. Gabriel) to lead me to believe that it existed back that far.
Letter 3064 mentions the use of the matronymic, but not in conjunction with
a patronymic...

Hope this helps.  I'll dig more when I'm able, but wanted to give you some
more looking you could do pretty quickly.