[ANSTHRLD] Inheriting augmented arms or reserved charges?

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Aug 3 11:47:36 PDT 2010

This would be an ideal question for SCA Heralds', if AOL hadn't been
dilatory about fixing their breakage of the list *again*.

Galen of Bristol's son asked me last week whether he could use or
display his father's augmented arms.

"Use" I have no problem with regardless of the charges or motifs.
E.g., the heirs of a kingdom are expressly encouraged by Laurel to use
the kingdom arms with a label, yet there's an explicit precent (from
waay before the ban on new registrations of royal heirs' arms) that
they can't register kingdom+label because the laurel wreath is a
reserved charge, and no person can register that.

Galen's arms from July 2001 are: "Gules, a bend wavy between two
double-bitted battle axes Or, and as an augmentation on the bend a
mullet of five greater and five lesser points sable."  There's no
reserved charge; anyone could register it regardless of augmentation
(all other things being equal).  So I think his son could inherit
those arms.  I suppose he could even keep the unaugmented version as a
badge.

Consider instead a hypothetical case.  Suppose that the arms clearly
have something the recipient doesn't have: a coronet and the heir does
not have baronial / viscomital / comital / ducal rank; a charged
canton (reserved for augmentations) and the heir has no augmentation.
Inheriting those?  RfS I.3 is "Inappropriate Claims. - No name or
armory will be registered which claims for the submitter powers,
status, or relationships that do not exist.".  The heir doesn't have
the augmentation, or baronial rank or above, as appropriate.

On the other hand, the arms can be viewed as property.  We allow the
legal heir under a real-world will to control them.

I've not done a precedents dive yet.  Anyone know if precedents exist?

Danel de Linccolne
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com