[ANSTHRLD] Conflict Check

doug bell magnus77840 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 3 12:31:36 PDT 2010

Conflict checking this is made difficult because some idjit dumped
the cocktrices in with the dragons.  This would make you
think this would be a conflict.
Percival de Toulouse
The following device associated with this name was registered in November of 1982 (via the Middle):
Per fess indented azure and gules, a wyvern passant Or.

However it has been ruled that a wyvern and a cocktrice get a CD for type.

[September 1997 LoAR A-Middle] Wolfger von Lausfenburg. Name and device.
Vair en pointe, a cockatrice displayed wings inverted head to sinister Or.
Possible conflicts were called with Barony of Dragons Laire Per pale gules
and sable a two headed dragon displayed Or grasping in dexter forepaw a
laurel wreath vert and in sinister forepaw a moneybag gules., and Beltran
of the Mount (SCA) Vair, a wivern volant to sinister Or maintaining a pomme
charged with three fountains. In both cases there needs to be a CD between a
wivern/dragon and a cockatrice for the two submissions to be clear.
If period monsters, were not considered different in period, this device would
conflict with both of these, since we do not normally give a difference for
changing the head only of a beast or monster. However, since they were considered
different monsters in period, and since the head is not obscured in any way,
we are willing to grant it the necessary CD to make it clear of these possible conflicts.

Versus Brann Morgan Dunmore of Galloway
The following badge associated with this name was registered in January of 1981 (via Caid):
(Fieldless) A cockatrice counter-erect Or drawing a sword proper from a scabbard proper.
for House Dunmore

One CD for fieldless and a second for turning the cockatrice to sinister.

Versus Robert Peregrine de Marécage
The following device associated with this name was registered in August of 1984 (via the East):
Per pale indented azure and gules, a cockatrice sejant, wings addorsed, Or,
belled and jessed proper, maintaining in dexter talon a sword palewise argent.

There is one CD for the field changes.
Is there a CD for a cockatrice sejant vs one statant?
Normally there would be but those critters may look very much alike.

I didn't find any other possibles but it may require a closer look.

Magnus