[ANSTHRLD] Lovecock, a cock rising (was: Eldwin's Submission IV)

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Aug 4 08:13:13 PDT 2010

A couple of meta-notes.

The main purpose of subject lines is so that recipients can easily
look for messages on a particular topic in their inbox or the
archives.  Something generic like "Armory question" or "Consultation
7" don't provide any information.  A subject line should reflect the
contents.  For a consultation about a particular name and/or proposed
armory, they should be in the subject line.  If you change the subject
because the purpose changed, putting "(was: [old title])" in the
subject line can be a kindness for people trying to follow a thread.

As for getting a "rise" out of the populace, I dunno.  Trying to freak
the heralds in particular is like trying to shock EMTs by inserting an
unlikely object into an improbable orifice.  You won't get the
experienced ones because they've seen worse, and the only one it can
hurt is you.

Jokes can wear thin pretty fast, and not just because the same joke
repeated 10 times is rarely funny.  For example, I recently read a
note from a lady who has the persona of an Italian courtesan.
Emphasis: PERSONA, NOT REAL.  She's had a number of men ask her
"how much?", not as part of persona play or as a joke, but in all
seriousness.  She's had a woman rail at her, lecturing her on how
horrible she is, in front of her son.

Bunny Lovecok or whatever is certainly a good idea for a Feast of
Fools event, or an alternate persona for working the tavern, or a
wayward cousin you can complain about at events but who mercifully
never seems to be present.

As the real everyday persona name: Toyoda used to have an ad campaign
that went "You asked for it, you got it, Toyoda".  We used to refer to
joke names or the like as "The Rule Of Toyoda".  You want it, fine,
take it, YOU live with it.

Oh, and you missed something.  You want multiple hearts and you want
them inverted.  There's an Italian coat of arms with that, canting
arms for the Cullion family (or something spelled like that: see the
etymology at
<http://education.yahoo.com/reference/dictionary/entry/cullion>)

Lord Ladyday Gaylord
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com