[ANSTHRLD] voiding illustrations

Coblaith Muimnech Coblaith at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 6 15:07:46 PDT 2010

Ragged Staff was good enough to send me the illustrations missing
from the online version of the cover letter to the November, 1992
LoAR <http://heraldry.sca.org/loar/1992/11/cvr.html>, which stated:
> We can use the equivalence between voiding and adding tertiaries to
> determine when voiding is acceptable: if the voided charge can be
> reblazoned as On a [charge], another -- that is, if the inner line
> and the outer line of the voided charge are geometrically similar
> -- then it's simple enough to void.
>
> For instance, in the illustrations below, figure A could equally
> well be blazoned a delf voided or a delf charged with a delf;
> either blazon is correct for that picture. Figures B and C, on the
> other hand, are definitely a griffin's head voided and a griffin's
> head charged with another, respectively; the emblazons are quite
> dissimilar, and the inner line of figure B is not the shape of a
> griffin's head. The delf voided, then, is acceptable, but the
> griffin's head voided is not.

I have uploaded the figures to <http://coblaith.net/temp/
voiding.jpg>, so that anyone who'd like to refer to them can.

Coblaith Muimnech
<mailto:Coblaith at sbcglobal.net>
<http://coblaith.net>